Summer is coming to a close, September is right around the corner and the kids are back in school. It’s time to ease back into the regular routine of music practice after taking the last few weeks or months off.
Here are some tips to help you get back into the groove of piano practice:
- Schedule it! – If it’s on the calendar and scheduled for the same time every day, you are much more likely to be consistent and it will become a habit.
- Remove any distractions – Turn the TV off, and keep your electronic devices out of the room while you practice. It’s so much easier to play the piano when you feel you are in a “flow” and you are not interrupted.
- Make it special! – Get some new music you are excited to learn or a new book you would like to play out of this year. There are some amazing online practice apps available that can make piano practice fun, such as piano marvel.
- Goals – change up your piano practice routine this year by choosing some new routines and goals. Maybe you want to improve your sightreading, consistently practice those arpeggios and scales, or learn a piece by a specific date.
- Tune your piano! – Schedule to have your piano tuned if it’s been a while. Right now is the perfect time to tune your piano. It’s fall, and the weather is relatively moderate, so the tuning will hold well. It’s much more enjoyable to play a piano that sounds great!