Piano Cleaning 101:
Spring is just around the corner, the weather is getting warmer and the flowers are blooming! For most of us, we get the urge to do some spring cleaning this time of year. Spring cleaning is a fantastic tradition that allows us to freshen things up in our home and get a head start for summer. Don’t forget about your piano in your spring cleaning process! Nothing more satisfying than seeing a piano all cleaned up.
See what we do when you schedule a piano cleaning with us!
This can be done along with your piano tuning.
Here are some General Recommendations for cleaning the outside of your piano
- Warm water and hand/dish soap is safe to use on virtually every finish and case part, including the keys.
- Always follow up with a dry soft disposable towel to dry any standing liquid. We also recommend using a microfiber cloth that you use exclusively for your piano.
- Cleaning pianos is a gentle process, not a scrubbing process. Pressing hard or vigorous scrubbing may lead to scratching or removing the finish. Always proceed with caution and use common sense.
If your piano is more than 10 years old, chances are it needs a more deep cleaning
- Dust gets under your keybed and in all the action parts over time. The only way to get it out is to remove the keys and clean underneath. (see picture below)
- Next, we take the entire piano action outside and will blow out the action with our shop vacuum. This will get all the dust off the piano and out of your house.
Want to go even deeper in your piano cleaning? You can schedule us to come out and clean your piano inside and out. Schedule a Gold full day service or Silver half day service with us HERE, which includes the piano cleaning, Hammer Reshaping and voicing, regulation, and tuning. We can get your piano sounding great again!